Saturday, August 11, 2012

PA 3 designs: Carl + laziness apology

Yeah, I've been really lazy with this the last week or so. Welp, that's not going to change, but I am going to externalize this thought so that it's finally outside of my head. Here goes: On the Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness Episode 3 was released. The game was abandoned by Hothead Studios, then replaced by nostalgia engineers from Zeboyd Games, completely changing the art direction, story telling style, combat system, and cast.

Cut from the cast list was our homeless hero, Carl, and gone are the various facets of the original game's fight animations. I'm really enjoying OTRSPOD3, but I still miss those attack animations. Maybe someday it'll get a 64-bit reimagining on the DS like Final Fantasy 3. Where was I? Right, yes, Carl. So, the attacks re gone and with them the attack names and weapon upgrades and other junk that I liked in OTRSPOD. Last year, while I was lamenting the loss of the PA Adventure series, I started working on hypothetical updates, just for fun and because my job is boring.

There it was: rake, then there was a hoe. I think the shovel is a natural progression from there. I've drawn the Steam Shovel before (because I love that pun more than my own imaginary future children) but the Noumenal Shovel still needs to be designed.

Shovel
Steam Shovel
Fitted with all the latest in anachronistic steam technology.
The Noumenal Shovel
I think we can all agree that this is what Plato was talking about.

Primary Attack: Call it a Spade
Tight, close-range swing

1st Special: Mudslinger
Carl shovels some dirt up, then throws it at the enemy

2nd Special:  Make a Hole
Carl hits the enemy several times, stops to rest on his shovel, then hits them some more
3rd Special:  Sodbuster
Carl stabs his shovel into the ground and it comes back out at the feet of every enemy

Gabe Team-Up: Negotiations
Carl chokes an enemy with his shovel while Gabe tenderizes the ribs

Tycho Team-Up:  Dirt Nap
Some stuff happens and some guys get shot. I don't know, man, I'm tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment